Post originally published 6/19/08:
Yes, that is a picture of the ice-cream cake, and, yes, I made it, and YES...you can do it, too!! I made it a couple of years ago for my son's birthday and again recently for a church thing. My son declared it his favorite cake ever.
The last couple of weeks had easy recipes, so now you can tackle this one. I found it on the internet somewhere a couple of years ago. Obviously, this is something you try for a special occasion, maybe once a year? It has a few steps, but isn't too difficult and looks so impressive and...it's...y.u.m.m.y!
Chocolate Malt Ice-Cream Cake
1-1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate fudge topping
1-1/2 quarts (6 cups) vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
2 cups Whoppers, coarsely chopped
1 cup whipping (heavy) cream
1/4 cup chocolate fudge topping
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom and side of springform pan, 9x3 or 10x2-3/4 (I used a 10 in. springform pan), with shortening; lightly flour. In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Stir vigorously about 1 minute or until well blended. Immediately pour into pan.
2. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
3. Spread 1 cup fudge topping over cake; freeze about 1 hour or until topping is firm. In large bowl, mix ice cream and chopped whoppers (Um...I do suggest doing a "quality control" check on those whoppers - better grab a handful and make sure they're OK...it's a sacrifice, but somebody's gotta do it); spread over cake. Freeze about 4 hours or until ice cream is firm.
4. In chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
5. Remove sides of pan; place cake on serving plate. Top with whipped cream. Melt 1/4 cup fudge topping; drizzle over whipped cream. Garnish with additional whoppers. (If pressed for time, you can cheat like I do and use whipped cream from the can - spray over the top and then drizzle from the Hershey's chocolate syrup bottle - not quite as pretty, but still tasty!)
**Note: This is a cake that cannot sit out, it should be taken out of the freezer; toppings put on and then served right away. As ice cream layer starts to melt, it will start to slide off top layer a bit. This doesn't work well leftover, so eat it ALL right away!! If you save it in the freezer, the ice cream layer will slide off, so best to just put leftovers in some kind of bowl and serve as cake & ice cream "glop" (still tastes good).
Yum, right? Are you having anything chocolatey this weekend? Don't overdo it - have a little to treat yourself and give the rest away!
Do you have a chocolate post (old or new)? Why don't you make it happy by bringing it over here to link up and hang out with other chocolate posts? I know it would have a good time! :)
Have a chocolatey and blessed weekend friends!